G.T. Parent Liason
GT Parent Newsletter
December 9, 2016
By Jennifer Seifried, GT Parent Liaison
Hello GT parents,
My name is Jen Seifried and I am excited to be the Parent Liaison for Silver Creek Elementary. My husband and I are parents of a 2nd and 4th grader at Silver Creek Elementary. I am also a School Psychologist within the District and teach college Psychology courses to online students. It is my hope to be a resource for all of you if you have questions as well as communicate any information that might be helpful from the district regarding the Gifted and Talented program. You can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
GT Parent Group Information
In Adams 12, there is a group of GT parents they have put together a District GT Parent Group. Each year, they put together 4 meetings in which they bring a well-known speaker to discuss different topics related to GT students and 2 Super Saturdays (which is an event with activities for GT students as well as several speakers all in one day). This group has a great website with information that might be extremely helpful. This website includes data from Adams 12, resources (websites, articles, student resource), and enrichment opportunities within the community (Super Saturday, Camps).
GT Speaker Series Recap
Last night I was able to attend their 2nd Parent meeting for the year. The guest speaker was Sharon Collins the Executive Director at Westgate Community School. She spoke about the Social Emotional aspect of a Gifted Child. She dove into Dabrowski’s theory of Overexcitabilities and the Theory of Positive Disintegration. Within this theory she talked about the needs of gifted students within five different areas that we as parents should be aware of:
1. Psychomotor- In this area a gifted student may have a surplus of energy which might include rapid speech, impulsive behaviors, sleeplessness, and the need to move around.
2. Sensual- Within this area, Sharon talked about how many gifted students have a heightened awareness of all five senses-sight, smell, sound, touch. They might be sensitive to certain smells, pollution in the air, textures, tastes, etc.
3. Intellectual- The love for knowledge. A student may be analytical and an independent learner.
4. Imaginational-Students can be really creative and imaginative.
5. Emotional- In this area, Sharon spent the most time discussing the different needs she has seen for GT students. These included things like:
1. Emotional Sensitivity
2. Feeling what others are feeling—more than just empathy
5. Concern for others needs and well-being
6. Shyness and timidness
7. Heightened sense of justice
8. Feelings of inadequacy-If I am not the best then what am I?
After reviewing the different areas and spending some time on the emotional section, Sharon discussed the importance of accepting the emotions that a child may be feeling, regardless of the intensity. She provided techniques to dealing with different emotions such as:
1. Avoid minimizing feelings and emotions
2. Deliberately teaching calming techniques students can use later
3. Listening without judgment, advice, or lectures
4. Coming up with a scale to use to describe different intensities of feelings about a situation (such as 1 to 10)
5. Last she provided a website that is a great resource for parents called SENG-Supporting the Emotional Needs of the Gifted http://sengifted.org/
Feb. 2nd, 2017 6:00-7:30PM: GT parent group meeting #3: Lisa Van Gemert, the “gifted Guru” will be speaking at Educational Support Center for Adams 12 1500 East 128th Avenue
Feb. 6th, 2017 5:00-6:00PM: Food for Hope Event for GT students-Sign up to help pack bags of food for hundreds of students served in Adams County. Space is limited to 30! If you are interested in doing this with your student please sign up at the website http://a12gtpg.wixsite.com/home
Denver Museum of Nature and Science Free day coming up: Sunday January 22nd, 2017 (check their website for more info & updates)
Denver Zoo Free days coming up: January 8, 9, 21, 31
(check their website for more info & updates)